Eating paint off walls

Don't understand what your bunny is saying? Have a bunny that needs some behaviour modification?
Post your questions about behaviour here.

Moderators: nytquill17, fuzzy-rabbit.com, Bindi, Angie

Eating paint off walls

Postby onemadrabbit » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi

Can anyone give some advice on what can be done to stop our house rabbit eating huge chunks of paint form the walls. I really need to decorate but I am very reluctant to do so as I fear that she will only eat it all again. Is there anything that can be put on the walls before painting or wallpapering to stop her doing this?
onemadrabbit

Postby nytquill17 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:29 pm

I moved your post to a more appropriate section; this way more people will be likely to see it and respond :)

I don't know of a product you could use before painting or papering that would deter a rabbit from chewing. Some people have had success rubbing vinegar or Ivory soap (bar soap) over the wall where bunny likes to chew but that would be done over the paint and other wall treatments. There are commercial products too like bitter apple spray that work for some cases. Some people try hot sauce also. It depends on what your bun will tolerate in order to chew in her favorite spot, and what she dislikes strongly enough to stop chewing.

The only surefire thing is to physically keep her away from the walls. Perhaps some plastic sheeting or other sort of covering tacked to the bottom half of the wall, or arranging the furniture or other solid objects to cover/block access to the wall. You might also consider giving her free range only within a bunny-proofed enclosed area - for example an exercise pen - rather than of the entire house, or only letting her roam the house with supervision rather than at all times.

Good luck with your redecorating!
Thanks, Liv, it's lovely!

"Right, well, listen...gotta dash. There's a thing going. Well actually, four things. Well...four things, and a lizard."
nytquill17

Postby MissBunnBunn » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:43 pm

I had this problem with Miss Bunn Bunn also. except for eating paint off walls, she was chewing on the physical wall. She usually did it in the same spot so when i let her out i would watch the spot and "wait" for her to come and start chewing on it. I would tell her "bad bunny" in a stern voice and shoo her away. she got three chances and the third time she got put back in her cage. That worked for me. It didnt take her long to realize if she wanted out of her cage she had to "be a good bunn" I had to do the same thing when she started chewing on my carpet.
MissBunnBunn

Postby jennay » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:46 pm

merlin did the same thing and i agree with nyt. the ivory soap worked for me. i rubbed it on the walls, and then gave merlin lots of cardboard chewing options, and i got her to convert. she no longer chews the walls, but any cardboard she sees she thinks is hers and she nibbles, so if i want something saved i have to hide it :P
jennay

Postby Patrice » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:50 pm

Rubbing soap on it does do the trick
or spray fabreeze on the wall...
My what big ears you have!
Patrice

Re: Eating paint off walls

Postby Irish Coffee » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:52 pm

I remember facing this predicament when I was still in renting. Too bad I hadnt discovered this forum with all these tips I wouldve saved our poor landlord the trouble of having to repaint the defenseless walls when I had to move. By the way could this nasty behavior lead to rabbits getting sick?
Irish Coffee

Re: Eating paint off walls

Postby nytquill17 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:22 am

Well it's not particularly nasty, more annoying!

But plaster or gyprock, and paint, are not really edible and depending what's used in them can be toxic, so yes it can cause them stomach problems if they sit down and make a meal out of it. But generally if they can pass whatever they ate they'll be alright in the long run. Buns are an odd juxtaposition in that they can be so delicate and fragile in terms of changes to their diet, but then they can eat things like wallpaper, carpet, plastic and paper and be none the worse for wear either. It all just depends, that's why we have to be so vigilant about changes in their, er, output, as well as their general energy levels and appetite.
Thanks, Liv, it's lovely!

"Right, well, listen...gotta dash. There's a thing going. Well actually, four things. Well...four things, and a lizard."
nytquill17

Return to Rabbit behaviour