Ill bunny

Have a question about your rabbit's health?
This is the place to discuss illnesses and injuries.
Its usually best to seek veterinary advice if you are concerned.

Moderators: nytquill17, fuzzy-rabbit.com, Bindi, Angie

Forum rules
Please seek vet advice for any issues. This forum is not a substitute for professional vet advice.

Ill bunny

Postby Simon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi there, I wonder if you can help me with my house rabbit. Buster lives in a large open kitchen, which he has a free reign over. She normally lives under the sofa, but comes out and sits on it, plays with the cardboard boxes and is generally friendly. We can stroke her nose for hours on end, if she wants. Of course, it is always on her terms! We can't pick her up but that is not a problem. We let her out in the garden when it is warm enough or dry enough to leave the doors open, then she can come and go as she wishes. Buster is litter trained, although when she jumps out of the tray, half of it comes with her! There is always a good supply of hay in her tray too. She eats properly and always has fresh fruit and veg' given to her, normally when she begs at the fringe when we get things out for ourselves. Grapes, pears, lettuce, cucumber, pretty much everything she eats, even the cardboard boxes which she likes to sit in and hop around. She does seem to scare easily at times, loud noises, sounds from outside, other times she doesn't care. There is a family of foxes which live next door under their shed, but they don't cause any problems, that we know of. She has not been spade. I could not tell if she has poo'd in the litter tray or not.

Thursday night when I got home from work, she was not herself, not responsive, not running up to greet me or following me around the kitchen while I made dinner. Instead she sat in her little tray, flat, laying down as if going to sleep. She was not interested in being stroked, so I left her to it. Somehow she made it over to her boxes where she tucked herself into a small, safe, secure wedge, and stayed there for hours. She did not eat or drink, not even her special treats! I got worried. Her head was not tilted to one side, I checked online to look for symptoms. She was not really responsive, I could stroke her, but I could tell she didn't want to be. She also seemed to have trouble standing up from where she was laying down, her front paws kept slipping infront of her. Very weak. He heart seemed to be beating fast and as her nose was not moving, I guessed she was asleep/resting.

When I came down this morning early, I expected the worse, but there she was, running up to greet me as if nothing had happened the night before. Some of her food and water had gone, as were her treats. She also used the litter tray too. Saturday update, all fine, perfect happy, well rabbit! Any ideas? Thanks
Simon

Re: Ill bunny

Postby jennyc1013 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:30 am

Welcome. I wonder if this was a bout of stasis, which she thankfully got herself through. Not eating, looking lethargic and poorly and getting into a posture where the abdomen is more comfortable (sort of a hunched up loaf) are some of the things you can see. Your bun sounds like she was pretty poorly, and I'm glad she was better in the morning.
If a rabbit doesn't eat, and especially if they don't drink, for many hours this can be fatal. They usually need meds, sometimes force feeding and fluids through a drip to get through it and even then don't always make it (we lost a young bun to stasis a few years ago despite of this).

That your bunny got through this this time is good, but I would strongly advise you (or anyone else) with a rabbit that is not responsive, not eating or looking weak and struggling to stand to get emergency vet attention (as in as soon as possible, not the next day). I'd keep a really close eye on her for the next few days, make sure she's pooing, eating and drinking as normal and is her usual happy self - and get her checked out if not. :)
Buns - Custard. RIP Flopsy baby
Rats - RIP Ermine and Polecat
Cockatiel - Billy
jennyc1013

Postby Simon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:24 am

Hi there, thanks for getting back in touch. Og dear, poor Buster!1 I'm glad she did pull through, maybe as she is only a few years old, that she had the strength to do that. It all happened pretty quickly during the day I believe, as I was at work, she was fine in the morning. I did think about calling the vet out and I will do if it happens again. Thanks for the advice and sorry that your bunny didn't pull through :(
Simon

Postby Simon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:50 am

Oh dear, she seems to be ill again with the same thing! Vet booked for tonight, hope she is ok on her own as I am at work
Simon

Postby BrunosMama » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:10 am

Glad you're able to get her to the vet. Hope all goes well! x
BrunosMama

Postby jennyc1013 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:01 am

Poor girl. Hope she's ok - good luck at the vets and let us know!
Cockatiel - Billy
jennyc1013

Postby littleblacky » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:46 am

Awwww :( Good luck at the Vet!
My baby boy, Little Blacky
littleblacky

Postby Simon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:44 am

Thanks all. Vet was great. Of course, as always when I got him, Buster was slightly better, not much, but better. Gave me the run around trying to put her in a box. I gave the vet all the info on what had been happening over the past few days, basically it's what I have found while searching online and what jennyc1013 said about stasis. I did a google on it, and its pretty bad! So the rabbit had lost some weight since the last visit abour 3-4months ago. He gave her an injection to help the stomach get back into action again. He listed to the stomach, had a good feel and it was nothing very serious, which was good to hear. He said it's good to bring them in if your concerened, especially as its happened twice in under a week. I felt like the vets were honest and cared about their animals which made me happier too. So, I still need to give some medicine twice a day which will be hard, as Buster doesn't like being handled. Any ideas on hte best way of grabbing a rabbit which doens't want to be grabbed?

Thanks all
Simon

Postby Bindi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:25 am

What kind of medicine is it? Can it be put in or on a food item and fed to bunny without grabbing?
Fuzzy Rabbit Moderator- please PM me if you have any complaints/queries etc.
I hope that you enjoy the forum!
Bindi

Postby Simon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:21 pm

I will have to check, but it was something "... oil", so a luiqid. I don't think it will go on the food very well. She's not eaten any food last night either, but has managed to use the litter tray. Poor baby.
Simon

Postby Bindi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:42 pm

How much do you need to give her?

When giving liquid medicine to my rabbit Bandit, I pinched off a square of bread from a slice, put the liquid on it and then gave it to her. Gobbled up right away, no fuss. Obviously if it is a lot of liquid this idea won't be so good... If it weren't an oil you might have been able to mix it with something else, like fruit juice... Rabbits often like things like pineapple juice, if all else fails you could try mixing the oil in a bowl, water bottle or syringe with some kind of fruit juice and offering that. Sealy used to happily drink from a syringe.
Bindi

Postby Simon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Hi there, thanks for the tip. Grabbing hold of the bunny and trying to give her something to make her better is almost as bad, she was not happy this morning and put up a good fight. The injection hasn't really helped as of yet. There was some fresh poo in the tray this morning, but she is still not really eating or pooing like normal, she spent about 15mins in the litter tray with no results later on, so sad. I guess if things have not improved by the time I get home, I will ring the vet and see how long it normally takes to get the stomach working properly again.

The medicine, I got totally wrong lol it was Emeprid Oral Suspension. I have just done a google and it seems to be given to lots of rabbits to help them. That's a good idea about the fruit juice or bread, I will try that, is she is eating of course. Thanks again

Here is Buster enjoying the snow last month
Simon

Postby Bindi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Oh yeah, sorry about that.

If she's not eating, the normal diet can go out of the window for now. It's more important that she eats than that she's eating correctly, so feel free to offer her various foodstuffs (within common sense, obviously).
Bindi

Postby Simon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:17 am

Oh she is getting everything any anything lol, just happy for her to eat. the ammount was 3mls for the medicine too
Simon

Postby jennyc1013 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:50 am

We mix meds with fruit flavoured baby food and put it in a syringe. If she won't eat at all you may have to force feed her (her usual pellets mixed with enough water to get them in a syringe is fine). A few poos is better than none!
She's beautiful, btw :)
Cockatiel - Billy
jennyc1013

Next

Return to Rabbit health