Ill bunny

Have a question about your rabbit's health?
This is the place to discuss illnesses and injuries.
Its usually best to seek veterinary advice if you are concerned.

Moderators: nytquill17, fuzzy-rabbit.com, Bindi, Angie

Forum rules
Please seek vet advice for any issues. This forum is not a substitute for professional vet advice.

Re: Ill bunny

Postby Simon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:19 am

Oh right, and your bunny likes baby food? Yes, I came home and there were some more smelly wet poo and she has eaten 1/4 of a banana.

aww thanks, she is a real charector/monster lol
Simon

Postby Simon » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:23 am

Update:
Still ill after a week, back to the vets tonight. Tried taking away the cardboard boxes to see if she tried to eat real food but didn't work. Fingers crossed the vet can do something to help get her appetite back. Worried :(
Simon

Postby Bindi » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:41 am

sorry to hear that, I hope she gets better soon :( Good luck x
Fuzzy Rabbit Moderator- please PM me if you have any complaints/queries etc.
I hope that you enjoy the forum!
Bindi

Postby jennyc1013 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:00 am

Sorry to hear she's still poorly. Good luck.
Buns - Custard. RIP Flopsy baby
Rats - RIP Ermine and Polecat
Cockatiel - Billy
jennyc1013

Postby Simon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi there, just a quick update. Buster went to the vets on Friday night and he got more medicine, Emerprid, baytril, both liquid, (one is an antibiotic) and a sachet of critical care, which is like dried powder of pellets which you mix with water. All of these need to be syringed into his mouth. The vet thinks that it is ileus, i guess that is similar to stasis. He thinks what probably caused it was too much cardboard munching! Buster did eat a heck of a lot of it, so please be aware.

So, although Buster is not eating much or drinking, the vet assures me that she is getting enough through the twice daily stuff we give her. I do wish she would start eating more though. The feeding is hard to do, at first the syringes were bitten hard as she didn't like it. Now, especially with the critical care sachet stuff, she "enjoys" being fed it, almost like a baby would suckle on a teet, which is good. She has also taken to eating the paint off the walls! Go figure. She seems happy and moves around a lot - usually, although Sunday she never came out from under the sofa as we had to chase her for ages to give her the medicine. Today was fine. She ate a half a little gem lettuce so that was good, but it needs to be the hay. Anyway, that's the latest. Hope all your bunnies are well :)
Simon

Postby Bindi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:30 pm

I hope she gets better soon. You are lucky she likes the critical care, not all rabbits do (like mine...)

Did the vet tell you to feed her little gem lettuce? I don't know if it is part of your usual diet, although either way saying "half a lettuce" did make me sit up... Usually it is advised not to feed rabbits lettuce, unless it is dark leaf varieties like Romaine. Lettuce has a high water content, no real nutritional value and can, in some rabbits, cause gas and diarrhoea. In fact, all of the green foods (cabbage, kale, broccoli etc) should be given sparingly in a normal diet because of their gas potential. And then you have the fruits and other vegetables which can be high sugar content. This is why they are supposed to, like rabbit pellets, be only supplementary to the main diet, which is hay/grass/wild plants.
Fuzzy Rabbit Moderator- please PM me if you have any complaints/queries etc.
I hope that you enjoy the forum!
Bindi

Postby Simon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:55 pm

Thanks, I hope so too. She is a real part of the family and full of character.

hen I talked to them they seemed happy for her to eat pretty much anything at the moment just to get her eating again. We normally give her a leaf in the morning while making our sarnies, it always goes down well. I understand that they should really just eat hay sa that is their natural diet though. It is full of water and we are happy for to get any as she's not really drinking at the moment. Maybe she has a bad case of wind? She normally eats so much, of the pellets, and drinks a lot too. It's such a shock to see her hardly eating anything.

The critcal care stuff, shame yours didn't like it. She doesnt eat it if we leave it out though, only when its given to her.
Simon

Postby littleblacky » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:19 am

Hope she gets better soon! :)
My baby boy, Little Blacky
littleblacky

Previous

Return to Rabbit health