Black Dirt

Have a question about your rabbit's health?
This is the place to discuss illnesses and injuries.
Its usually best to seek veterinary advice if you are concerned.

Moderators: nytquill17, fuzzy-rabbit.com, Bindi, Angie

Forum rules
Please seek vet advice for any issues. This forum is not a substitute for professional vet advice.

Black Dirt

Postby BrunosMama » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:03 pm

Tonight while feeding Obie, I noticed he had a darkish spot on his back (he's white). So I nabbed him and took a look. He has what appears to be black dirt all along his back (but not sides) that goes all the way to the skin. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was flea dirt. But the cats don't appear to be itching and fleas LOVE my husband (cause he's so sweet lol) but he hasn't had any. Obie is also not scratching or being twitchy. Could it just be general dirt and he needs combed well? I didn't see anything jumpin' on him either. If it is fleas, where do we start to fix it? Thanks!

PS. I will be checking the other buns tomorrow.
BrunosMama

Re: Black Dirt

Postby Bindi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:25 pm

If it is fleas, Advantage is the one usually advised. Frontline is a HUGE no-no because it is fatal to rabbits. There is Xenex as well, but I'm personally biased against that one because Bandit had a reaction to it.

If there is a lot of dirt, you'd expect to see something jumping in it at least once... If you are concerned, it might be a "better safe than sorry' thing and dose him anyway.
Fuzzy Rabbit Moderator- please PM me if you have any complaints/queries etc.
I hope that you enjoy the forum!
Bindi

Postby BrunosMama » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:49 am

Today was Monday Bunday! :) Everyone got clipped nails, trimmed/brushed fur, and a flea treatment. We got the Advantage II and used it sparingly just to be safe. Oddly enough, our vets office gave us Frontline for the buns. They did not seem to encourage the Advantage at all. We bought one tube of Frontline, felt ill about using it on the buns, and got the Advantage instead. It didn't go to waste though - works quite well with the cats. :) So hopefully Obie can start getting over his fleas. Poor bun bun. Everyone seems to be OK with the treatment, just pouty because they can't be with their mates. :)
BrunosMama

Postby Bindi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:52 pm

They gave you Frontline??? Who was the person who gave you that? I think you need to make a complaint about that because if they can give it to you, they can give it to other people.
Fuzzy Rabbit Moderator- please PM me if you have any complaints/queries etc.
I hope that you enjoy the forum!
Bindi

Postby BrunosMama » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:59 am

The vet tech is the one who recommended it. We hadn't made an appointment, just wanted to buy a tube, so we didn't get to talk to the vet. But we asked about the Advantage and the answer was " Welll, its not labeled for rabbits, so you would be using at your own risk." She said " We give Frontline to all of our patients with rabbits with fleas." I asked if they'd ever had a problem and she said "Well, we don't apply it here, the owner takes it home and uses it. No one has ever said they had a problem and we would be the first to know." I kind of wonder though, if they don't get some sort of financial kickback from Frontline because she was pushing extremely hard for us to buy enough tubes for all the rabbits and cats (7 animals total) which would have been $100.00. Plus, whats odd, is we use a full Frontline tube for our close-to-20lb male cat. Surely that's an insane dose for a 2.5lb bun! *shakes head* I'm glad I'm aware enough to not use it on my buns, but I don't know about other owners. I would protest to the vets office, but I'm afraid it would fall on deaf ears. Today, the buns are all back together and happy. Obie was the only bun who we saw fleas/dirt on, but we treated everyone to be safe. Now we just need to see if it took care of them. :)
BrunosMama

Return to Rabbit health