Pepper

For people who have lost a bunny.....

Moderators: nytquill17, fuzzy-rabbit.com, Bindi

Pepper

Postby jennyc1013 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:06 pm

She had the same thing as Biggles and Weasel. She was such a little fighter. She started to get ill on Thursday night, when we were at the vets with Weasel. She had her first lot of antibiotics. We went back to the vet the next day and she started on a different antibiotic, steroids, inhalers and theophylline (helps to open up the airways). She struggled on very bravely, and took little bits of sugar solution from a spoon, but didn't want to eat. Her chest improved a lot but she got weaker and weaker, but always fighting on.
Last night we though she would probably die in the night. She wanted to be in her cage so we tucked her up with her friends and left her to it. This morning, she was still there, moving like a little old lady. We tried offering her every food in the house to see if she'd take it, but she wasn't interested.
We went back to the vet, and decided together that it was no sort of a life for her and it would be kinder to put her to sleep. As soon as the injection went in, she died. She was so weak.
It sounds horrible, but I was really relieved - she's not in any discomfort, and she can run and play with Weasel and Biggles now.

Run free darling girl. We're proud of you our little fighter.
Buns - Custard. RIP Flopsy baby
Rats - RIP Ermine and Polecat
Cockatiel - Billy
jennyc1013

Postby Schlippo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Aw, poor little girl. :(

Run free, Pepper.
Liv rawks :)
Schlippo

Postby sarahj » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:40 pm

:( Sorry for your loss Jenny.

Run free Pepper :( :(

Edward and Chloe

...also Bunny Mum to Max and Sophie plus Hamster Mum to Boris, Dylan, Polly, Tom, Charlie and Oscar!
sarahj

Postby nytquill17 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:03 pm

You must be heartbroken. I'm so sorry - I hope things settle down for you soon. Goodbye, Pepper.
Thanks, Liv, it's lovely!

"Right, well, listen...gotta dash. There's a thing going. Well actually, four things. Well...four things, and a lizard."
nytquill17

Postby Bindi » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:55 am

Poor baby :(

This reminds me of I think Muse? Do you know what's happened to them all?

Binky free Pepper x
Fuzzy Rabbit Moderator- please PM me if you have any complaints/queries etc.
I hope that you enjoy the forum!
Bindi

Postby jennyc1013 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks guys.
They all had pneumonia. The vet thinks they all picked up a cold, and the ones who were vulnerable (Biggles, Weasel and Pepper) ended up with pneumonia - probably Pasteurella or a similar bug. Biggles, we think, had an infection when we got her, Weasel had one last year, and Pepper spent the first few weeks of her life dumped in a hamster cage in someones garden (in the uk in autumn). They were all vulnerable. The other 2 have been on antibiotics for 5 days and seem to be ok. They seem a bit lost and lonely without the others around :(. We're going to see how they do over the next few days and think about rescuing a couple of others if these girls are too sad and need more company. We'd rather not because it's better to have a colony of a similar age, and finding 1 1/2 yr old doe rats is tricky.

I buried Weasel (who died on thursday last week, but work meant i couldnt bury her, then i decided to wait and see what happened to pepps) and Pepper together, cuddled up like they used to. They're next to Biggles, and all 3 of them are causing 300 different kinds of chaos with all the other creatures at the Bridge :).
Buns - Custard. RIP Flopsy baby
Rats - RIP Ermine and Polecat
Cockatiel - Billy
jennyc1013

Postby Snugglesworth » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:01 am

I'm sorry to hear you had another loss Jenny :(

I'm sure they are all quite happy together, though, like you said. I do hope your others continue to fare well!
Snugglesworth

Postby LJBaumber » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm so sorry Jenny, what a tough time you're having of things at the mo.

Sending love and nose rubs xxx
Thanks liv!
LJBaumber

Postby Patrice » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:16 am

Jenny I'm so sorry. I hope this is the end of sick critters for you.
You did the right thing putting her down. It's one of the greatest gifts we can give them, to relieve their pain.
(((HUGS))))
My what big ears you have!
Patrice

Return to Rainbow Bridge